Monday, October 27, 2014

Radiohead: The Greatest Band of All Time?


Discussion by Russ Israel

 
            A few weeks ago, I was riding my bike back to my dorm at around ten at night, listening to Kid A by Radiohead.  Towards the middle of the album, I found myself focusing more on my surroundings than where I was going, and I realized that whenever I listen to Radiohead I have the same emotional response.  That led me to think about why Radiohead is so good.  Whenever I speak with people about the band, I ask them, “why do you like them so much?”  The response I often is get is somewhere along the lines of,  “It’s Radiohead, they’re perfect!”  Or “they’re the greatest band ever!”  I’ve even been answered, “Because Thom Yorke is hot!”  But the latter doesn’t pop up too much…   In all of Radiohead’s glory, it seems that a lot of their fans can’t pinpoint one reason they are considered one of the most influential bands, or can’t articulately describe their attraction towards them.  A lot of music review websites do a pretty good job of it, but even then it is easy to disagree with their often pompous opinions.  In this article, I will attempt to deconstruct and explain the perfection of the god of all bands that is Radiohead. 
            Back to my bike ride that one night; I remember not being able to describe my feelings.  It was a weird mix of sentimentality, angst and depth.  Whatever those emotions were, I realized that I experience them regardless of the album that is playing.  I eventually came to the conclusion that the magic of Radiohead lies in the listener’s response to their music.  It is not their production, their lyrics or their melodies in particular that makes someone love Radiohead.  For example, after listening to one of their best songs, “Paranoid Android,” no one says, “that hook was so catchy!”  It is more a feeling of awe and content towards the entire song. 
            I guess what I’m trying to say is that Radiohead is a balance.  Front man Thom Yorke has set up the band and its recording process is such a way that no one aspect of their music stands out, yet none is subpar.  In Radiohead’s lyrics, Yorke doesn’t tell a story and he’s not describing his thoughts.  He is general enough about his feelings and experiences that anyone can relate to what he is singing, even if it is on the darker side.  He involves listeners with his words, but doesn’t distract them from the overall feel of the songs.  In addition, his clearly passionate vocals make it hard not to leave a deep impression on his listeners.  Radiohead’s songwriting is very original.  Each of their songs is like a journey, and you are always taken places you don’t expect to go because of their strange instrumentation and chord changes.  The band’s mixing and mastering also contributes to said journey, which allow listeners to be fully immersed in the sounds they create.  In all of their albums, they establish a complex system of unnatural sounds, organized into mesmerizing sonic layers to engage even the most jaded music lovers. 
            Radiohead is not perfect in every way; it’s all of their little perfections and imperfections that add up to make their music incredibly unique.  Their deeply emotional and often depressing songs capture their listeners because it mimics real life.  You are not taken away by how spot on every vocal harmony is, because life isn’t always spot on.  It is the sadness and flaws – the balance – that make listening to Radiohead so natural, and invoke such real, indescribable emotion.  When I listen to the band’s music, I am taken over by a sense of abnormality and nostalgia.  But that’s just me; everyone has a different response to music.  All I know is that the legend of a band instills a full and often overwhelming emotional response in its listeners, which no band can emulate.  To do that, your art must come from within, which is clear in Radiohead’s music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment